PROMOTING HISPANIC EDUCATION SINCE 1983
Esperanza offers various programs in need of volunteers:
- SISCO (The Stay in School for College and Career Opportunities Program)
- Computer Classes
Providing Research and Administrative Support
Support Possibilities: Research, Administration, Grant Writing, Financial Management, and Public Relations
Expectations For Our Volunteers & Mentors:
- Be responsible.
- Keep promises and commitments with staff and students.
- Build respect and trust.
- Give emotional support.
- Advocate for the students’ best interest.
- Assist students to think like winners.
- Foster self-esteem.
- Teach by example and direction.
- Act as a positive role model.
- Contribute something positive.
- Participate in activities designed to motivate students.
- Listen without judging.
- Discuss career-related topics.
- Listen to personal problems.
- Give advice on how to avoid or reduce problems.
- Have fun.
- Tutor and help build good study and work habits.
- Want to make a positive difference in the lives of young people.
Typical duties for volunteers:
- Read to children.
- Tutor children and/or adults.
- Provide administrative assistance.
- Sort books or educational materials.
- Working one-on-one with students.
Code of Conduct
- Be courteous.
- Dress business casual; however, no caps, hats, jeans, sneakers.
- Encourage students to learn.
- Be present and on time.
- Be a role model for our students.
- Provide assistance to Program Coordinators.
- Be present at monthly meetings.
- Be an ambassador for Esperanza and education.
- Complete a Volunteer Application.
- Read and sign the Volunteer Standards of Behavior & Service Recipient Protection sections included with your Volunteer Application.