PROMOTING HISPANIC EDUCATION SINCE 1983
VOLUNTEER WITH ESPERANZA!
Esperanza offers various programs in need of volunteers:
- SISCO (The Stay in School for College and Career Opportunities Program)
- Family Engagement Program
- Saturday Academy Program
HYLP (Hispanic Youth Leadership Program)
- Tutoring Program
- Mentoring Program
- Download: 2014-2015 Academic year opportunities
Expectations For Our Volunteers & Mentors:
- Act responsibly
- Keep promises and commitments with staff and students
- Build respect and trust.
- Give emotional support
- Advocate for the students’ best interest
- Assist students to think like winners
- Foster self-esteem
- Teach by example and direction
- Act as a positive role model
- Contribute something positive
- Participate in activities designed to motivate students
- Listen without judging
- Discuss career-related topics
- Listen to personal problems
- Give advice on how to avoid or reduce problems
- Have fun
- Tutor and help build good study and work habits
- Make a positive difference in the lives of young people
Typical duties for volunteers include (but are not limited to):
- Assist students with academics
- Assist adults in learning English
- Provide administrative assistance
- Assist with food service
- Chaperone field trips
- Track and record hours
- Attend program activities with students
- Serve as a positive role model and friend to students involved in the programs
- Attend community events
Code of Conduct
- Be courteous.
- Dress business casual; however, no caps, hats, jeans, sneakers.
- Encourage students to learn.
- Be present and on time.
- Be a positive role model for our students.
- Provide assistance to Program Coordinators.
- Be an ambassador for Esperanza and education.
- Complete the Volunteer Application
- Read and sign the Volunteer Standards of Behavior
- Fill out the Media Release form on the Volunteer Application (voluntary)
- Pass a background check
- Attend an interview
- Attend an orientation/training (program specific)