PROMOTING HISPANIC EDUCATION SINCE 1983
Each year, as part of our mission to improve the academic achievement of Hispanics in Greater Cleveland, Esperanza grants scholarships to a number of students entering or continuing their college education. Since awarding our first college scholarship in 1983, the number of recipients has grown, with our most recent scholarship class consisting of 106 deserving and dedicated students. Our scholarship recipients attend schools all over, ranging from local schools in Cleveland to schools in New York, Pennsylvania, Hawaii, and more. All scholarships are provided through generous sponsorships from local business, organizations, and private donors.
Over the years, this scholarship celebration has turned into our annual Fiesta of Hope luncheon, which, in addition to presenting the year’s scholarship recipients, serves as an important fundraiser for Esperanza. The event features speakers from the year’s keynote, Esperanza staff and board, and a presentation of the recipients.
Eligibility criteria for applicants graduating high school:
- Student must be residents of Cuyahoga county.
- Student must be Hispanic country or have at least one parent who is Hispanic.
- Hispanic student must be American citizens or Permanent Resident. DACA Eligible students are also eligible to apply.
- Student must be graduating high school and be enrolled full-time in college and/or university as an undergraduate student for the Fall semester of 2016.
- Student must have Student Aid Report (SAR) that proves that the FAFSA was filed. For DACA Eligible, student must have tax return Form.
- Student must have a minimum G.P.A. of 2.5 (based on 4.0 scale) at the time of application and maintain it for the Fall and Spring Semesters. Transcripts will be requested.
- Student must have participated in extracurricular activities and school or community service.
- Student must take either the SAT or ACT and provide a copy of results.
- Family Income must not exceed $60,000 per year. Applicants whose family income is higher than $60,000 shall be evaluated on a case by case basis.
Renewing process for current scholarship recipients:
If you received the Esperanza scholarship last year, you are eligible to renew your scholarship for the 2016-2017 academic year. To be eligible to apply, you MUST meet the following criteria:
- Continue being a resident of Cuyahoga or Lorain county.
- Have a minimum overall G.P.A. of 2.5 (based on 4.0 scale) at the time of application and maintain it for the Fall and Spring Semesters. College transcript will be requested.
- Be enrolled full-time in college and/or university as an Undergraduate Student in the Fall semester 2016.
- Actively volunteer in Esperanza activities and program for a minimum of 8 hours in a calendar year. Volunteering opportunities will be provided. View the current opportunities.
- Actively participate in the Esperanza Alumni Association activities and programs.
** Keep in mind that your scholarship renewal is contingent upon funding and your award amount may differ from last year.
General information for ALL applicants:
- All applicants MUST attend the personal interview to be held on Saturday, May 7, 2016 OR Saturday, May 14, 2016. Registration for finalist applicants will start in April 2016.
- If selected to receive a Esperanza scholarship, recipient MUST attend both the Scholarship Pre Reception Event AND Fiesta of Hope Scholarship Awarding Ceremony.
- Applicants will be evaluated based on their academic achievements, quality of personal statements, recommendation letters, individual interviews, volunteerism and family income. Esperanza reserves the right to review special cases and circumstances on a case by case basis.